The first post
To make a long story as short as possible: Once upon a time while surfing the web I stumbled on a guy who takes a polaroid picture on every single day as a diary of his life. I really liked his project and thought about doing something similar. It never happened. Fast forward some years in which I gained more online experience, created some websites, got different digital cameras, took thousands of pictures and call myself semi-professional by now. But still no picture diary yet.
A vague idea of creating a website about my photography enthusiasm always at the back of my mind I registered vizzzual.com in autumn 2007. A combination of the word ‘visual’ and my (gamer) nickname ‘ZZZ’. The visual ramblings of ZZZ. Looking at the world vizzzually. Everything about photography that gets on my mind can be dumped here.
And finally a place for my picture diary
While searching the web for the guy who originally had this idea, instead of him I found a lot of people who are doing a ‘project 365‘. Taking a picture every day for one year. Sounds good to me to get started. For my first vizzzual project, I decided to take at least one picture on every day of 2008 and publish it. In fact it’s a ‘project 366‘ as 2008 is a leap year.
To call the project a success it must meet the following criteria:
- Take at least one picture a day in the entire yearÂ 2008.
- Publish the picture within 7 days after it was taken.
So on every day of this year I will take at least one picture and publish it on vizzzual.com. The ideal case would be to write a short story describing the picture and/or to take and publish more than one picture. But this is not a must to meet the project-criteria.
What do I hope will happen during the project?
- My photography skills will improve. For some personal reasons I didn’t get many chances to live out my photo enthusiasm in 2007. Thereby my skills got a bit rusty. This has to be changed.
- My english language ability and writing skills will improve. Even though my mother tongue is german (as I am Austrian), I am using english on vizzzual.com to improve my skills on the one hand and to target an international audience on the other hand.
- Get to know some interesting people from around the world. Hopefully they will like my pictures/stories. But I am open for fair comments and constructive criticism.
- Learn to use WordPress from an user and an admin point of view. Until now I was used to work with Joomla at my web projects. To broaden my mind, I decided to use WordPress for this site.
So let’s get started with vizzzual.com and see what 2008 will bring. Thanks for being here and I hope you enjoyÂ my posts. Let me know (comments) what you think and feel free to link to your project 365/366, photography website or flickr-account if you have one.
If you want to stay up to date withÂ the project please consider subscribing to my RSS-Feed. So you won’t miss out one of my pictures. Thank you and have fun!